Thursday, May 16, 2013

Surprise! It's Award's Day!

A couple of weeks ago, we received a note from Julia's teacher stating that Julia had earned the "Superintendent's Award" for the year (95+ grade average in all subjects). The teacher's note said that we were encouraged to attend Award's Day to see her honored and that it was a secret so we didn't need to tell Julia.

The secret was kept, but I did nonchalantly ask Julia what Awards Day was and whether we should come. She shrugged and said, "I think it's just for Field Day winners, and I'm the slowest one in my class. I'll never win anything." Even though I reminded her that her Field Day had actually been rained out and cancelled, she still insisted that the field day activities that happened during PE time were the Award's being given out at Award's Day.

This morning, as we were leaving Kids Club (before school Bible Club I help out with), I told sweet Julia that we were planning on coming just in case. She responded with a scowl, and the poor child's shoulders slumped when she saw her Daddy and Audrey walking into the building. She also avoided eye contact with us as her class walked into the auditorium. I truly think she was embarrassed that we were coming to see her not get anything.

Part of me regrets not having told her about the award and leaving her to feel bad for a few minutes this morning, but the other part of me gets teary as I think about how surprised she must have been when her name was called.

Heading to the stage and receiving a big smile from her teacher. 
 A handshake from Baldwin County's superintendent, Dr. Lee.
A medal...
 Eating cake and punch at a reception afterwards
 A forced photo with her awards.
 And a forced photo with Audrey. Why the stinker wouldn't smile a real smile, I don't know.
Congratulations, dear Julia! We're so proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment